top of page
Second Hampden Clubhouse wide

 17  Cathkin Park: The Site of the 2nd Hampden Park (1884 - 1903)

Queen's Park moved their pavilion from 1st to 2nd Hampden, and opened their new ground on 18th October 1884, with a match against Dumbarton Football Club.

 

Their state-of-the-art pavilion boasted a gymnasium and reading room, whilst they laid a cinder track for athletics and cycling.

 

Queen's Park created the football club blueprint - the best facilities for players, who regularly trained and practised their tactics, and delivered a product fans wanted to pay for.

 

The First Championship of the World was held here on 19th May 1888. Scottish Cup holders, Renton, beat FA Cup Holders, West Bromwich Albion 4 - 1, becoming the first Association Football World Champions. 

2nd Hampden Pavilion and Gents

The pavilion at the second Hampden Park

On 2nd June 1888, Renton beat Preston North End 4 - 1. The following season, PNE became known as 'The Invincibles’, winning the English Football League without defeat. 

Rangers and Dumbarton held a league division play-off on 21 May 1891. The game ended 2-2 and the 1st Scottish League title was jointly shared.

 

Scottish football exploded during this period with 168 teams entering the 1890-91 edition of the Scottish Cup. 

Ghost Stadium Third Lanark

2nd Hampden today. Cathkin Park is sometimes referred to as Glasgow's 'Ghost Stadium'

Football at Cathkin Park

Football at Cathkin Park in the 1960's.

Due to the increasing size of Ibrox and Celtic Park, 2nd Hampden became Glasgow's third largest ground. In 1903, Queen's Park moved to the 3rd Hampden and opened the world’s biggest football ground.

 

Third Lanark moved here in 1904 and renamed it ‘New Cathkin Park’.

Third Lanark stadium 1958 by Ashley Rawson

Artist's impression of 2nd Hampden (Cathkin Park) in the 1950's when it was home to Third Lanark.

bottom of page