top of page
Hampden Mural by Ashley Rawson wide

 16  Hampden Bowling Club: The Site of the 1st Hampden Park (1873 - 1883)

Queen's Park Football Club officially opened 1st Hampden Park ahead of their first Scottish Cup tie with Dumbreck, on Saturday, 25 October 1873, and won 7 - 0. 

 

The first Scottish Cup match was held here the week prior, between Renton and Kilmarnock, with Renton winning 2 - 0. 

 

Hampden takes its name from the nearest block of buildings, Hampden Terrace.

 

In 1878, Queen's Park purchased Caledonian Cricket Club's Pavilion, built grandstands, privies, offices, and turnstiles, enclosed their ground, and created the season ticket.

The 1st Hampden hosted the first two Scottish Cup finals and became the home of the Scotland National Football Team in 1878.

Hampden Pavilion then and now

Hampden Bowling Club pavilion is thought to be the same (modified) structure as the first Hampden pavilion.

1st Hampden is the world's first purposefully built, enclosed international football ground and the template for every football ground constructed since.

 

1st Hampden became Scotland's Tartan Fortress - 6 games played, 6 wins, 36 goals scored, and 8 goals conceded - including a 5-1 win against England and a 9-0 win against Wales.

 

Queen's Park and Scotland's dominance was due to their passing, running and combination game, which they perfected on this ground. This style is played or watched 3.5 billion people across the world today.

 

The new Cathcart District Railway forced Queen's Park to leave 1st Hampden in May 1883, play at Clydesdale's Titwood Ground for 12 months, before opening 2nd Hampden Park in October 1884.

Queens Park Team 1873

The Queens Park team of 1873-74 winning the first Scottish Cup.

Ashley Rawson's 1st Hampden Mural

Artist Ashley Rawson's 1st Hampden Mural on the rear side of Hampden Bowling Club.

bottom of page