top of page
Victorian Era Clydesdale Cricket Club wide

 13  Clydesdale Cricket Club: The Site of the 'Forgotten Hampden' (1883/4)

Titwood is the home to Clydesdale Cricket Club, established in 1848 and is Scotland's fourth oldest cricket club.

 

Clydesdale was a founding member of the Scottish Football Association and played in the first Scottish Cup Final.

 

The Club’s founder, Archibald Campbell, was the first president of the Scottish Football Association.

 

In the 1883-84 football season, Queen's Park Football Club used Clydesdale's ground after they left 1st Hampden, and waited for the 2nd Hampden to be constructed.

Victorian Era Clydesdale Cricket Club

The old clubhouse at Clydesdale Cricket Ground.

Cricket at Clydesdale Cricket Club

Modern day cricket at Clydesdale Cricket Ground.

Fixtures at the ‘Forgotten Hampden’ include Queen's Park win over Manchester 15-0 in the English FA Cup, the first competitive club match for an English team playing outside England.

On this ground, Queen's Park beat London Swifts 5-1 in an exhibition match, and won games against Northern 3-1, Dumbarton 3-1 and Cartvale 6-1 in the Scottish Cup.

64359a39-2040-4d8e-9495-0a311c7d0c90_edi

1884 FA Cup ticket for Aston Villa against Queens Park..

bottom of page